Here have some Judi

Hey y'all,

Happy Easter if y'all celebrate it, if not I hope you're having a good weekend!

I know it's been a while and I'm not going to bother with excuses, just going to provide writing updates.

I've decided to treat Judi and Missy's stories as a series. Their stories can stand alone but they connect slightly through each other and I figure it makes it easier to show they're connected if they have a series title.

As a result I've renamed Missy's story to flow better with Judi's (and talks to the plot of her story). I give to you:

"Fall For Your Type"
Book 1 : It Was Only a Kiss
Book 2: It's In His Kiss (IIHK)

Below the cut I have a IIHK snippit that provides you guys with a spoiler regarding what Judi has been up to (but is spoiler free on what's going to happen in Missy's book).

Read at your own peril -- it's an unedited first draft and even some names still need to be figured out. This is about five years after IWOAK and if some things don't line up with what you remember it's because this is set after the revised version of IWOAK I'm currently working on. Enjoy!

"Hey lady, I just got your message, what's up?" Missy tucked her phone between her ear and her shoulder as she grabbed the milk out of the fridge. She had promised [redacted] rice pudding and figured she could get it started during her catch up with Judi.  

"Guess what your best friend did." 

Missy pursed her lips at that, her eyebrows shooting up since the last she heard Judi was in a permanent state of glee with AJ back from his apprenticeship in BC. 

"Since I'm talking to Miss. Judith I'm assuming you're referring to your boyfriend, nay, soulmate Alejandro Mendez of the Puerto Rican Mendezes?" She teased, swapping ears as she reached up into the cupboard to grab the rice, cinnamon, and carnation milk. 

"Yes."

Huh, okay then. Most conversations with Judi you could hear her smiling over the phone. Missy had spoken with her two days ago and you could practically feel her joy over the phone. The only times her happiness had dimmed had when she had related the foolishness that AJ's family had gotten up to and his inability to check them. 

"What'd he do?"

"Guess."

"I don't know... failed to tell his sister to fuck off when she purposely tried to crash a date night? Let his mom make those backhanded compliments and then act like he didn't hear or didn't realise she was talking shit?" Missy paused as she mentally went through a list of other petty little offences AJ's family had been getting up to that AJ was almost stupidly oblivious to. There were so many that Missy was sure she'd hit the nail on the head in under five minutes. 

"He proposed."

Missy opened her mouth then snapped it closed. "Yeah, that was... that was going to be my next guess. I mean, what an asshole, proposing to his girlfriend of five years."

"This isn't funny Missy, he proposed with his whole family in the room."

Missy inhaled sharply, then let it out in a whoosh of air, momentarily speechless. Judi was not a fan of being the center of attention and she sure as hell wasn't a fan of AJ's family. So being the center of attention with his family watching? That was a special hell for her.

"His mother started to bawl like she's not a big woman and should no better. Guess what his bitch sister said?"

Missy bit back a smirk as Judi's voice thickened and an accent she would deny came out in full force. Missy would put money down that Judi had probably started signing as she spoke. Shifting the phone again Missy lowered the heat on the pot before moving to sit on the counter. 

"Which sister?"

"He only has one bitch sister Missy."

Eh, that was debatable. "I don't know, what?"

"This bitch goes, and I quote 'I thought you had learned from me to use condoms with these LASTNAME niggas."

Missy was actually stunned. She probably looked like a fish opening and closing her mouth without saying anything but damn. Judi seemed to know exactly what that meant. 

"Right?! Right?! Exactly."

"So... are you calling me because he left you after you broke her jaw?"

"What? What are you talking about?" Judi spluttered, the low, vicious tone she had been using changing to bafflement at Missy's words. 

"Why would you automatically assume I reacted violently, Missy? I am a teacher, Missy. I am a lot calmer than I used to be and in full control of my emotions even when those around me want to act like they have no type of home training or class."

"Mmhmm. So what did you do?" Missy swung her legs, well aware of the type of person Judi was and even more aware of her triggers. They'd met in anger management class, she knew what could set her off and it had been three weeks of these women tap dancing on Judi's last nerve.

"I took myself out of the situation and kindly informed him that I wasn’t going by his mother’s house again."

Missy waited, positive that there would be more coming. 

"In unrelated news, AJ has gotten quite quick on his feet. He can go from a crouch to a lunge in under a minute and lift up 150 pounds while doing it. I was very impressed."




Comments

  1. This made my day! Judi and Missy's friendship was one of favorite parts of IWOAK, so turning it into a series/Judi being a supporting character in the story is great. I loved the preview! Judi is a teacher and they are still having hilarious phone conversations about AJ and his family.

    Sorry if you already answered this but are you going to post the first draft of Missy's story somewhere or are you just going to publish it? I have no preference and I can't wait to be able to buy both as books. Also, is this just going to be a two book series?

    Thanks for sharing.
    Fantasque

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Judi and Missy's relationship was definitely fun to write and I feel like female friendships, healthy ones, are some of hte most enjoyable things to read about. Like why can't you have love and friends?

    I'm not sure. I want to get IWOAK revised and published first and if that's the case being able to release IIHK fairly soon after would be great and I don't know if I can publish if I have it up online.

    Of course, that depends on whether or not I can get it published traditionally. Game changes a bit if self publishing comes into play.

    Right now it's just a two book series but when I started IWOAK was supposed to be a standalone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I miss IWOAK so much, I need this in my life so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been so long since I visited the site. I'm glad to read this update and I hope that you're still working on it. I'm a fan of yours and IWOAK is my favorite.

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so late, but yes, I'm still working on both of these projects. Life is just hectic and I'm horrible about finding the balance to give this the full attention it deserves and when I do give it that attention I tend to want to rewrite everything from the beginning so I tend to stall.

      Delete
  5. Yes! I hope your doing well. && I am happy that you are continuing to write. I remembered this book on FP && tired to locate it again, it was such a great read. I had assumed you were on wattpad till I remembered valent chambers.

    I am excited for your future projects and the growth in your work!

    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on valent chambers for a little while but it didn't make sense to continue to upload the original version while I was figuring out how to revise it for the newer version. Thanks for dropping by and looking me up!

      Delete
    2. No problem.

      This is understanable, is this the only place your work will currently be up?

      Izzy

      Delete
    3. At this time, yeah, I'm toying with the idea of putting the first draft of Missy on Valent Chambers similar to what I did with IWOAK but if I do want to publish it at some point, regardless if it's self pub through a traditional publisher that might make it harder to sell.

      Delete
  6. I miss IWOAK so much

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the plagiarist

Frustration and Musings