the plagiarist

Has not responded to me or taken down the story/chapters with my work and fanfiction hasn't responded back either or taken her work down so here's hoping that if enough people make a fuss it'll disappear.

Her story is based in the world of Highschool Musical and is about someone with an eating disorder and a jock who's dad beats him. The girl with an eating disorder is hers I believe, although, I don't know if she has just stolen that character from someone else. 


The author is theorangecarebear and her story that has bits stolen from me is here to stay starting from chapter three, Troy's POV. Troy is Adrian since the majority of his scenes are the ones I wrote and she just altered names and removed any scene that had to do with Elliot.

I posted When Doves Cry on fictionpress September 4, 2007. She posted her story November 6, 2010.

She has other stories up as well but if she has plagiarised anything from anyone else I'm unfamiliar with the original author.

The email to report her is : reportabuse@fanfiction.com

Here is an example of one the sections she has copied word for word [excluding names and sometimes fruits] that I have found:





Here to Stay Chapter three: the crappiest school day ever
Troy
My heart was pounding as I broke out into a cold sweat. Oh no. Not today, it was before school for God's sake.

"Why did I get a call yesterday that said you weren't in three of your classes? Were you off with your friends, smoking pot?" My father asks, staring at me. I swallowed and stared back at him, hoping my fear wasn't obvious although it felt as if it had me in a choke hold.

"How do you expect to go anywhere in this life without an education?" He said more than asked, fiddling with an old pocket watch he collected.

I had nothing to say, I was hoping that not talking would be an equivalent to submission. Maybe he'd leave me alone for now. Still, I ended up sprawled on the floor, holding my side and silently thanking God that it wasn't in the face. My father looked down at me, his shoe looking wrinkled and scuffed. My mom screamed when he started kicking me, and now she was trying to help me up.

"Annabel, quit that, all you do is baby him and now he's turned out to be a pot smoking pussy." He said now, frighteningly calm. He then straightened his clothes, looking me dead in the eye as my mom got away from me to stand off to the side.

Wow mom, thanks for the help. I thought bitterly. "Now boy, answer my question, and don't you dare make me repeat it." He told me, the picture of calm.

"No sir, I wasn't. And I have a name." I replied making sure not to give any spotlight to the splintering pain that was coming from my side. I shouldn't have said that. He stopped looking at those dumb pocket watches and grabbed my arm, practically flinging me off the ground.

"Who the fuck do you think you are? Do you think that because you got accepted into JV that you call the shots, huh? Don't you start going all high and mighty with me, boy. I'll do the honors of calling you by your name when I get damn good and ready to, hell, I named ya'." He shouted, pushing me back to the floor. I got up on my own this time, groaning a little. I contemplated asking him why he bothered naming me in the first place, but fear and anger kept me quiet. I didn't want to feel his fists or hear his mouth, and mom was already crying.

"If I get anymore phone calls there will be some serious problems." He turned around to my mom.

"I'm off to work, my shoes need shining for tomorrow. I probably won't be home until midnight or so, it's Ed's birthday, so, y'know." He kissed her forehead, grabbed his keys, coat, and left.

"My name," I said darkly, "Is Troy." I knew he couldn't hear me as he walked out the door. As the front door closed I felt a sense of relief wash over me that he was gone. I glanced at the clock. 7:50 a.m., that bastard. Now I was going to have detention because of him.

"Oh, Troy, honey." Mom cried, rushing over to me. I grimaced as I felt the pain in my side start to intensify. I hate him so much. Mom started to babble on about getting ice and I held up a hand to stop her rambling. "A painkiller, please, I have to go to school."

As she returned with whatever she could find-hopefully it was strong- I asked her, "Why don't you just leave him?" I growled. As always she defended him.

"Oh honey if you'd just stop provoking him,"

I stepped away from her, glancing at the clock again. 8:00. Great. "Provoking him? What the hell mom? Do I have a punch me sign somewhere on my back or something? Fuck mom, you know what? Never mind." I snapped as she began to sob again. I turned away from her. Even though I felt like slime for making her cry. I still had no intentions of apologizing, though. I grabbed my Wildcat basketball hoodie and put it on, shoving my feet into a pair of Vans and leaving. I was just like that bastard, making mom cry and then leaving like it wasn't a big deal.


When Doves Cry -- original work. chapter one
Adrian

My heart was pounding as I broke out into a cold sweat.

"I got a call from your math teacher, apparently you haven't been going to class this past week" My father said staring at me. I swallowed and stared back at him hoping my fear wasn't obvious although I felt as if it had me in a choke hold.

"Do you think you're going to go anywhere in life without an education boy?" he asked calmly picking up one of my mothers figurines and playing with it. I just looked at him, hoping my silence would be enough to get him to leave me alone. I ended up sprawled on the floor as my father looked down at me, his fist bloodied. My mother had shrieked when my father had hit me and had tried to rush to my side.

"Mary stop it, all you ever do is coddle the boy, now he's soft." He said evenly while opening his bloody fist and placing the figurine back where it had been. Then he grabbed my mother by her arm and dragged her to her feet. He went back to toying with the figurines as I wiped my mouth wanting to spit the blood out but I knew that would only lead to more beatings, not to mention it would be my mother who'd have to clean it up.

"Now boy, I asked you a question, don't make me repeat it" he said, still the picture of calm. Pushing myself up onto my knees I glared at him.

"No sir. And I have a name." I spat out bitterly. Not a smart, not smart at all. He stopped touching the glass figures and grabbing my shirt collar hauled me off of the ground.

"You think that just because you were offered that sports scholarship you're grown? Tackling little boys doesn't make you a man, I'll call you by your name when you earn it boy." He said flinging me back down to the floor. I got up a little faster that time breathing hard. I was tempted to ask him why he had named me but I caught sight of my mother crying so I held my tongue, fear and anger warring within me.

"Boy, I better not get any more calls from any of your teachers or I'll have to discipline you" he said grabbing my shirt and wiping his hand on it. When he was finished he turned to my mother, "I'm going for a run. My uniform needs to be ready for tomorrow." He kissed her forehead and then went to get ready for his run.

"My name," I whispered, "is Adrian." He didn't hear me and I listened as he grabbed whatever he needed and then left. As the door closed I felt as free, as if I had been frozen and I glanced at the clock and saw it was 9:30. Trust Me. Welch the spineless bastard to call when he knew I was at practice.

"Oh Adrian, honey," my mom sobbed rushing over to me as soon as she was sure he was gone and began dabbing at my lip which had split. I could already feel the side of my face begin to swell and my cheek stung. I hate him so much. As my mom dabbed at what seemed to be a cut on my cheek I wondered what would happen if I ever hit him back. Why was I even thinking that, he'd put me in the hospital again. But man, would it be worth it, even for just that little bit of satisfaction.

"Mom, why don't you just leave him?" I growled filled with frustration, as usual she began to defend him.

"Oh honey, he's not that bad, honestly. If only you'd stop provoking him." She hiccupped. I stepped away from her.

"Provoking him? How the hell am I provoking? Do I have a fucking punch me sign somewhere on me that I don't know about? Shit mom, you know what, forget it" I said as she began to cry again. I turned away from her although I felt like shit for making her cry but I wasn't going to apologize for speaking the truth. Grabbing my school jacket from where I had thrown it when I had come in I headed for the door, not caring that I was still wearing the shorts and t-shirt I had worn at practice. I paused to step into my shoes giving my mom enough time to collect herself.

"Adrian, Adrian sweetie, where are you going?" she asked pathetically. I ignored the ball that seemed to form in my throat. I was just like him, making her cry and then leaving like it wasn't important. I had to get out, to go somewhere.

"Elliot's." I choked out as I left.

Comments

  1. Where do you go to complain about this author on fanfiction.com? I am ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sequined Pajamas; i got your back.



    Izzy O_o

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have an email where you can reportabuse@fanfiction.com; which is where I sent my original complaint.

    But in the terms of service there is a section which says that they will terminate someone's account if you can prove that they're an infringer and this is what you have to do [and this is the one I'm most likely going to be sending this time around if I can figure out the exact nature of my rights in regards to online publishing]

    8. Copyright Policy

    As part of FanFiction.Net's copyright policy, FanFiction.Net may terminate user access to the Website if a user has been determined to be an infringer. To file a copyright infringement notification with us, you will need to send a communication to us with all of the following information in it, using this format:

    Include a statement telling us that you have found a content on FanFiction.Net which you believe infringes your copyright (for example, "I hereby confirm that I believe the story identified below infringes my copyright").
    Tell us which country your copyright applies to.
    Tell us the title of the content concerned and the full URL for its page.
    Explain to us in what way that content infringes your copyright (e.g. the text is copied, the entire story is a copy of an original work made by you, etc.)
    Identify the type (e.g. a book, a short story, a poem, etc.). and details of (e.g. title, publisher, dates, etc.) the copyright work which you own the rights in, and which you believe has been infringed. If this information is available on the internet, it is helpful to send us a link.
    Let us have contact information so that we can get in touch with you (email address is preferred).
    Let us have the contact information which we can pass on to the submitter of the content concerned, so that they can get in touch with you to resolve your complaint directly (email address is preferred).
    Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted work described above is not authorized by the copyright owner (or by a third party who is legally entitled to do so on behalf of the copyright owner) and is not otherwise permitted by law."
    I swear that the information contained in this notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or have an exclusive right in law to bring infringement proceedings with respect to its use.
    Sign the notice. If you are providing notice by e-mail, a scanned physical signature or a valid electronic signature will be accepted.
    Send the notice, in English, to the following address:
    Attn: FanFiction.Net Copyright Infringement Notification
    Email: copyright@fanfiction.com
    Fax : (888) 743-0192 (United States)

    Please also note that the information provided in this legal notice may be forwarded to the person who provided the allegedly infringing content.

    Make sure you know whether the content that you have seen on FanFiction.Net infringes your copyright. Be aware that there may be adverse legal consequences in your country if you make a false or bad faith allegation of copyright infringement by using this process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry that this happened to you. I emailed reportabuse@fanfiction.com. I also posted a message in the review section for her story.

    I hope you don't mind but I also quoted you first post about the subject at TST just in case some of the people over there who read your stories have not seen the post yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sorry to hear about what is happening to you. you are a great writer and shouldn't have to worry about people stealing your work!!!

    p.s. if your looking for a more secure website you can always look on the www.valentchamber.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @DanniS07 I think a few people left a review, thanks for the support though and I have no idea what TST is, but if it gets more people to see and report her I appreciate it :)

    @Anonymous2: I know about valentchamber, I actually have an account but I haven't posted anything on there yet though I intend too.

    Right now I'm not thinking about taking down my stories since this is the first case I've encountered and I have a strong fanbase (haha, that sounds so conceited) on fp.

    Thanks for the comments and support you guys, it really means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jammi :) I'm JLeshay an author from The Chamber as well as Fictionpress and FanFiction.Net I am so sorry to read about the plaigarism. The reason why I left FP and FFN in the beginning was because people kept stealing my work but came back after it died down. I saw DanniS07's post on TST so I had to check it out for myself (I often give people the benefit of the doubt) and I gave the author a review as well. From my experiences since the site is so big it takes them a while to do something and it seems like since she's not responding that she admitted her own guilt but is going to ignore you. I'm so sorry this happened and it's sickening that so many great authors had to go to extremes to stop the plagiarism. I'm glad you've decided not to take down your stories like I had in the past (I enjoyed them btw) and I hope everything works out for you. If you need my assistance or anything like that feel free to PM me either on FP or The Chamber it doesn't matter I can be reached :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to review her profile as well, I sent them another email so I'm going to sit tight and hope either she takes it down or they take it down even if it's just to stop the emails from everyone.

    And thanks for the offer of assistance, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had really hoped that this person or at least Fanfiction.net took action and removed the story but i see this is a waiting game that should have not been played, because i feel people should just have standards and not STEAL other people's work. I will continue to check back hoping it comes down or i will send another e-mail. Jammi i am truly sorry that you have to even deal with this.

    LadyLuckAJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks LadyLuck, I'm hoping that it's just taking fanfiction a while to respond and that they will look into it/do something.

    The girl, I don't know. She has the nerve to post it and then talk about wanting to be a serious writer on another site. She's something else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well apparently i was behind in this news. i am soo sorry to hear this .. its my biggest fear that someone is going to copy my work. though i did stop by her "story" and let her know what i thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here have some Judi

Frustration and Musings