Quick Status Update -- snippit

Hey you guys,

I know I've been MIA for quite a while now but I am writing, just slowly.Very slowly.

After I finished IWOAK I sort of got stuck in this weird limbo where I have ideas and I can plot those out but writing the actual words is a bust. I have like six false starts for One More Night (the gladiator-ish story I've posted on here) even though I know the characters and I know how I want them to meet again in our time. I had a quick brain storm with my sister that hopefully we can extend on over the weekend and it'll be the kick I need to get everything working again. 

Then there's the epilogue for IWOAK. Oy. I have that outlined and everything but the words aren't coming at all. I know where I wan the scene to happen, how I want it to happen but it just won't happen. I don't know, rereading the story isn't helping me get back into the flow, it's just making my fingers itch

I'm hoping to at least have that finished sometime this month, it's not something you *have* to read if you like where the story finishes, it's not too far into the future based on where it ends now, but I figured it'll be nice to wrap up a few things a bit cleaner.

Then there's FFYT which is staggering along. I have a bunch of scenes written but I still haven't decided if I'm going to do this like IWOAK where the story is set in the 'present' day with no flashbacks or if it's going to alternate between their current and then when Missy and Vince were young and have you discover their falling out while it happens.

And if I do use flashbacks will it be from their POV or alternate between them and an outsider looking in so you can see what they don't see/remember? I know the flashbacks are in third person but there are all over the place style wise.

But that's probably something I should ramble on about in another post, lol.

And I don't know if I've mentioned this before but unlike previous stories that I have posted on fp I want to have the majority of the first draft written before I start posting it so it'll be a while before it's up there but this way I can do a better job reading it over/cleaning it up before I post it and it'll be more consistent.

Anyway, here's a flashback scene from FFYT that probably isn't going to make it into the actual document since it 1. doesn't flow the way I want it to and 2. it doesn't really add anything to the story other than a glimpse at Missy and her brother through the eyes of someone before Carmen happens.


This snippit is pretty much spoiler free. Enjoy!



"I still don’t see why we can’t call it The Pink Kitty," Jalissa Rodriguez said as she alternated between painting her nails pink and gray while Missy attempted to school Miguel in basketball.

"’Cause that sounds like a strip club, Juicy. Which would make us strippers and despite what my cousin claims no one respects strippers. Or fears them."

"But you think people are going to respect or fear a chick called Juicy?" Jalissa raised her eyebrows at her best friend who grinned at her.

“Girl, look at you, everyone can see your ass is juicy.” Jalissa made a gagging sound at the reminder of the worse pick up line she’d ever been on the receiving end of which just caused Missy to laugh harder, her snickers turning into a yell when Miguel reached over and tried to snatch her controller.

“Miggy, twin or not, I will beat your ass, stop cheating!” She swung at him, cursing in Spanish as he stole the ball from one of her players, shoving her off of the couch just when she was beginning to get back in the swing of things.

Jalissa watched for a moment before double checking her toe nails were dry and then jabbing Miggy in the side with her foot, biting her lip to keep from laughing as he yelped and instantly doubled over, game forgotten as he tried to protect himself from getting tickled.

Missy, being Missy, instantly went for the bait and dropped her controller to tackle him the two of them yelling at each other in Spanish as they tried to one up each other and Jalissa calmed moved out of harm’s way and went back to painting her nails.

Thirty minutes later a truce had been called and they were trying to see if they could fix the DVD player before their brothers came home and beat both of their asses.

“Y’all should go with tigers. I think tigers would be a boss cat,” Miguel said once the DVD started playing perfectly.

Missy shook her head. “So the Tamils can try and done me? I think not.”

“You guys, seriously, Pink Kitty. Like, it’s the only choice.”

The twins turned as one, exasperation clear on their faces.

Chica,” Missy began, her voice taking on the cadence of an accent she would deny having. “You have been overturned and Pink Kitty will never be a thing. Never. Stop trying to make it happen.”

“Pink Gato sounds dirty as hell,” Miguel added. “And gatitos rosa is the opposite of gangsta. And don’t say it’s stealth thug because if you do I will not hold Missy back.”

Lissa made a face, clucking her tongue in annoyance as Missy snickered. They were each other’s biggest fans.

“Why won’t you two just let me be great?” They both snorted.

“You refer to yourself as afro-latina. You won’t let yourself be great.” Miggy snorted at that and held out his fist to his sister who grinned and did the complicated little hand shake they had come up with when they were five, slipping into a mish mash of Spanish, English and God only knew what else as they slipped into their own little world.

Jalissa rolled her eyes and tried not to look as left out as she felt. Much as she loved the two of them, at fifteen she had to admit that it was a bit weird that they still slipped into that twin thing when other people were in the room and they never seemed to realize it.

Then again, their brothers just seemed to take it in stride and she guessed she should be honoured since half of the time she was positive they forgot that she didn’t speak twin. Didn’t mean she couldn’t get irritated when they did it.



Comments

  1. Have you ever thought of putting any of yours stories on wattpad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're still surviving!
    I will admit you caught me in the middle of re-reading IWOAK. The snippit put a smile on my face, it's good to know you're still writing and that Missy hasn't changed one bit. I get the need to have FFYT all planned and written out so bombshells and secrets drop in the right place and there are no loose ends.

    Hope all is well with life!
    Stretch19

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ebony, not really, when I first joined the online community the only forums for online stories (outside of like specific fan communities on places like angelfire or messageboards) was fanfiction and then fictionpress and it took me almost six years to build the fanbase I have on fp, lol.

    I've never really been on wattpad either. And if/when I get published or self-pub it'll be easier to just keep everything on the one account although apparently you can't copy and paste on wattpad?

    @stretch19 yeah, I've gotten an influx of alerts for IWOAK and WDC recently (mainly people watching the stories) and I figured it was about time I let people know what was going on with me, lol.

    And that's definitely a big reason I want to get everything straightened out with FFYT before I start posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missing you Jammi. Please give us a status update.

    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm aiming to have a status update by this Saturday. Sorry guys, never meant to hit the sixth month mark without giving you guys an update.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here have some Judi

the plagiarist

IWOAK 35 Cut Scene