Update

It has been forever since I've written anything here and I'm sorry about that! I just keep getting bogged down in things and putting writing on the back burner and then I feel like shit for being so behind. Currently I'm looking into registering for a novel writing course at a local uni near me. I'm working full time so it'll be an online course, but I think it would be a great way to push my writing to the next level.

I just fed up with writing currently. IWOAK is complete, the first draft, but the second draft is just a struggle to get out and I don't know why. FFYT has stalled major and while I have new ideas for other works they never get past the first few chapters.

I keep thinking I've figured out where the issue is and then it doesn't work and I just get stuck. But at least with the course I can get feedback and a structure that might help and then next steps will lead to me finally letting go and letting the story be the best it can be.

Now normally I would post a snippit or something, but I honestly have nothing of my own that's worth sharing. So, if you guys are into steampunk novels, check out The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook, it's high fantasy with a bi-racial (Chinese and White) heroine and I really enjoyed it.

Courtney Milan has a NA (new adult) novel out called Trade Me, which is about a rich white boy trading lives with a hardworking Asian American girl.

http://www.courtneymilan.com/trademe.php

It's not a bad read, but I didn't love it the way I thought I would.

Let me know if you guys like them or not, or if you've read anything good. My reading has slipped to the wayside and I need to step it back up.

How's everything with y'all?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

  1. First, thanks for the update. I get you on the writing. I have been stuck at the beginning of a pivotal scene in my current (since 2009, lol) project and I know how I want it to go... I just can't seem to get there. The idea re-writing just makes me procrastinate even more. And then my actual life cuts in, lol.
    I just discovered Courtney Milan. Thanks for the recs! She has a really good historical novella about a nerdy young scientist (bw) and a broody Irishman called Talk Sweetly To Me. If you haven't you should check it out!

    Fantasque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update it's good to hear from you, you've been a bit quiet lately. Everyone falls into those periods where they just don't feel like doing something but you sound like you've got a plan which is something even if it doesn't feel that way at times. Reading always helps.
    Personally i need to catch up on the mountain of books that keep popping up in my collection. Not sure what you're into but I'm more fantasy, currently reading Peter v brett the skull throne.
    Anyways stay positive
    Stretch19

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Fantasque -- Someone actually recommended that to me awhile ago but I wasn't in a regency mood, I might try it again since I'm feeling more open-minded. I know she did a novella with a girl who had an ugly laugh or something, and she was mocked by the ton and the main perpetrator comes back and decides to admit he loves her and she's like 'bitch, bye', can't remember the name of it, but I really enjoyed it.

    @Stretch19, haha, I was actually reading a novella by him this week (The Great Bazaar & Other Stories) to see how I feel about his writing style since with series fantasies you end up committing to some serious world-building/book lengths and I wanted to ease in. It was okay, the world seemed fascinating but I do think I'll have to try and read a main story by him because I liked the world and the characters, but the actual writing voice was only okay for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update and I'm glad that you are doing well...I am very sorry that you are having a tough time with your writing but I think the course you want to take is a step in the right direction. I really miss reading your work on fiction press, which is how I first found your stories. I really hope that you get the chance to bring all your work back to the public, you are a great writer and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My dream for IWOAK and WDC is that they could be published as hard copies and eBooks and possibly made into films. Wouldn't that be something? Anyway keep working hard and never stop writing ... you're too good at it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the plagiarist

Here have some Judi

Frustration and Musings