I'm Alive & First Lines

Typewriter



I have created so many variations of this post over the past year and a half I'm actually confusing myself, lol. I haven't posted because I haven't had any clips or progress that I've liked enough to share with y'all but honestly, my birthday is next Monday and I never thought 31 would hit me and I wouldn't have any published work to show for it considering I've been writing seriously since I was 14/15 and dabbled since I was like nine.

Also, shout out to missorisso who dropped me a line on fictionpress which reminded me of how overdue this update was. I am coming to terms with the fact that perfect doesn't exist and that my writing definitely suffers every time I put it on the back burner for work but it'll never get better if I keep jumping around with it or waiting for the words I put on the page to exactly match the images in my head since I don't have that skill level yet.

That being said; I did a fun little Tumblr meme for my writing; I put it below the cut. FFYT is basically just Vince's POV from IIHK; I'm having trouble treating them as one combined story though I know for a fact I want it to be two POVs.

I hope everything has been going well with y'all!




Stolen from @heywriters – orig post.

RULES: List the first lines of the last five stories you published updated worked on. Look to see if there are any patterns that you notice yourself, and see if anyone else notices any! Then tag some friends.

edit: I’m changing it to last five “things” LOL. Drabbles, outlines, whatever.

1. Toy Soldiers

What he doesn’t want is to get caught. Smiling brightly at his counselor he trapped the toy soldier attempting to climb up his pant leg between his knees. Mr. Joseph smiled back, looking at the paper on his desk as if he didn’t think Carlos was insane.

2. Duppy Know Who Fi Frighten

This wasn’t how Rayvn had planned to enjoy her summer vacation but that was the problem with having friends who got hot over spring break. All of a sudden folks want to invite them to parties and they refused to let her be ugly at home. 

3. It’s In His Kiss

I wasn’t sure what I had expected to be honest. Neither of my parents had been shit for a very long time, and after 25 years you would think I’d have outgrown being surprised by their fuckery and yet here I was, once again sideswiped because the people who created me were next level bad mind.

4. ???

When she had agreed to this posting she had believed the most strenuous undertaking she would face was keeping her brother away from the lord’s pretty daughter. Three weeks and five assassination attempts later she had a feeling the lord of this keep had some deep dark shit happening in his basement.

5. Fall For Your Type

He really didn’t want to have to kill anyone, but if these two didn’t leave him alone, that was the only way he saw this day ending. Which would be a goddamned shame since Judi’s engagement party had been going so well.

Patterns

  • I am a big fan of opening paranormal/fantasy stories with little to no hint that there’s anything extraordinary happening
  • I really don’t make it clear who is speaking in the opening, out of five stories only two of them name the point of view character
  • my opening lines aren’t impactful on their own 


Comments

  1. Hey Jammi! Hope you're doing great! I just remembered reading IWOAK and tried to find your work online so I could purchase it if you had published it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the plagiarist

Here have some Judi

Frustration and Musings