Plotting and Sneak Peak

Still working on IWOAK, chipping away at it between assignments. 

So, I don't know about other writers but when I plot I can't just put down the bare bones of an idea.


I've tried creating a story from beginning to end but that doesn't seem to work for me at all. Instead I get the idea for a story from a scene or conversation that a character has and then I build thing around it or I put a few notes down and create the character that would fit that scene and the story is built around the character.

Sometimes it'll be a concept and it'll show itself through various scenes/stories. For example, IWOAK was built around a scene that still hasn't happened yet and the reveal scene. The scenes came to me and I just loved them. I knew that at those points in the story I needed a character who was strong enough to deal with those blows and keep on going, but I wanted to write someone who was less confident in herself and someone who was *too* confident in himself and then shake up their perspectives of themselves.

Now, the point of this post? For Missy's story, I already had the characters set up, so I just had to figure out the plot. Below the cut is a scene that may or may not enter the actual story. It's relevant because it's one of the scenes that connect bits of the plot for me and shows Missy's background and beliefs without me making a "had a rough childhood due to mother's idea of beauty and love".

I figured since IWOAK is taking forever I'll give you a taste of this.

Note: It's really rough and some of the characteristics are off since it was just a scene to get the idea down.

Gonna put it below the cut for those of you who might not want even a potential spoiler, lol.


"I hate that."
"What? Acknowledging that love has no colour?" Judi asked, wrinkling her nose in disbelief.

"No, actually yeah. Saying shit like 'I love him despite of his colour', like the fact that he's black or white or whatever the hell he is a turn off to you in other circumstances, or 'I love him because of his colour'. That doesn't make you sound open-minded, it makes it sound like you have some kind of a fetish and he's your new favourite fuck toy. You love someone because you love them. Case closed." 

"I've never thought about it like that. So basically, they can't win with you." I raised my eyebrows at her, wondering if she was messing with me.

"No, it's complicated. Like, I can like the fact that [love interest] has that creamy complexion but I don't like him *because* of his creamy complexion, it's just another physical attribute that I find attractive, not the only reason I would be with him."

"Didn't you do that already, though? Restrict who you dated solely because of the colour of their skin?"

"Yeah, I won't lie. But that was more because I was sick of being someone's ethnic screw. There are people who would go after someone they don't actually love because the colour of their skin makes them a trophy. I am not the one."

"Really?"

"Don't be naïve. Part of the reason my mom was with my dad was cause she thought he'd lighten up her gene pool, turns out he has more black in him than she does. She was pissed. It was hilarious."

"That's sad, Missy."

 

Comments

  1. I loved that little bit. i got what Missy was saying with her getting too deep and it did show a bit of her background withher mother and issues with color.

    LadyluckAJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the last line was hilarious :)I really like Missys and look forward to her story :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with LadyluckAJ, she's got her own way of being heartfelt without going completely cheesy. Can't wait to see where it fits in with the rest of the story. Keep working hard, it's paying off.

    Stretch19

    ReplyDelete
  4. @LadyLuck if you asked Missy *she* has no issues with colour, it's everyone else who's colour struck, lol, just because she doesn't hide from the truth like Judi doesn't mean she isn't blinded to her own faults at times.

    I'm glad you guys liked it! Not sure if it will be entering the story, at least not in that set up but the feelings behind it will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here have some Judi

the plagiarist

Frustration and Musings