Updates

In regards to chapter 28's progress, I'm working on it, lol. I know exactly what's happening but again starting the chapter at the right moment is proving harder than I thought it would and I'm balancing it with school work and job hunting.


There are about 5/6 chapters left, maybe two more depending on chapter length and if any scenes I wasn't really planning pop in. I actually can't believe that I'm almost finished the book, well... that's not true, I should've finished it a while ago since it has been up for almost three years now. I definitely need to work on my writing pace, or figure out how to get across everything I want in a more concise manner.

Currently I'm going through some of my older stuff and I found one of my exercises for trying to write a story in third person. It has been years since I've written anything in third person and I want to get back into the habit so I have a flexible writing style. Not to mention I feel like my first person characters are running the risk of sounding like the same person.


So since I can't give you a snippit of IWOAK without spoiling what's going to happen, here's a look at one of my older WIPs. If I can remember the name of the file of the first person version I'll post that up at a later date and you guys can compare them. 

Hope all is well with you guys <3



Chapter One

You are cordially invited to attend the wedding of

Priscilla M. Houston

And

Garret J. Garret
August 2nd
5:00 PM

            6 months. Not even a year, six months. Carmen tossed back another shot and took note that chugging down pina coladas just didn’t have the same effect as drowning her sorrows with a bottle of whiskey, or even Tequila. But that would give the impression that she was upset that her ‘best friend’ was marrying her ex, and you couldn’t have that. Her ex of only six months. The ex she hadn’t even known had wanted to break up with her up until the moment he’d done it. The ex who she found, two weeks later, making out with her ‘best friend for life’.
BFF her ass.
“Smile sweetie you don’t look like you’re having a good time.”
 Carmen bared her teeth at her mother. “Better? And I’m not. Explain to me why I had to come and watch Priscilla marry Prick?”
“Because you never let anyone see how much they hurt you. People talk and you’ll look like a woman scorned. And don’t call him that, it’s rude. His name’s Garret.”
“I am a woman scorned and I’ll call them whatever I want. And I wish these people had talked before I walked in on Prissy and Prick with each other.” Carmen reached over and took her mother’s martini downing the whole thing to prove her point.
“Carmen, when you saw them you should’ve kicked both of their asses. You chose not too so now the time has passed for petty name-calling. Unless you’re going to get back at them royally, say slip some of the laxatives I have in my purse into their champagne, I suggest you leave it alone.”
“The what in your purse?”
“You heard me the first time love. I always bring them with me, just incase. Why, I had them at your father’s wedding.” She said waving her hand breezily as if they were talking about the weather instead of the fact that she had offered to sabotage the Bride and Groom’s wedding night.
“Mother! You didn’t! I thought that was food poisoning! They had to cancel the honeymoon! Brandi was sick for about two weeks!” Carmen hissed leaning in closer staring at her mother in horror with a side of disbelief, amusement and admiration. The woman had the nerve to shrug.
“Don’t end all your sentences in that high-pitched voice dear, it’s not attractive. And your father had the nerve to call and question me about it, he actually threatened me with a lawsuit. I kindly informed him that that was what happened when he allowed that infant he married to choose the caterers. How was I supposed to know she’d have an allergic reaction of some kind? And anyway, a little shit never hurt anyone.”
And that was when it occurred to Carmen Marlon that her mother was insane. Of course the fact that she was trying not to giggle and was actually contemplating the idea proved that the apple hadn’t fallen far from the tree, but still, it was kind of funny.
“Mother, they’d know it was us. We’re the only people here who wish them any harm. And you’re only ten years older than Brandi.”
“No they won’t and no we’re not. The Houstons and the Patricks tend to be arrogant assholes. See those people over there, the ones that look like they have serious mafia ties? They’re sitting near the back. Priscilla’s father did a takeover of one of their companies, the company that had been in their family for over a hundred years. See the red-heads? Yeah, apparently there’s a long-standing feud between their set and the Garrets, so you see, no one would expect us, the bride’s darling best friend and her aging, dotty mother who’s much more mature than someone who dots their ‘I’s with little hearts and giggles.”
Carmen snorted.
“Puh-lease, everyone here thinks you’re my older sister. Thirty-eight is not aging or dotty. Are you insane? Yes. Anyway, they’d see them in the bottom of their glasses.”
Edwina Alda smiled knowing she had won. “No they won’t. Just remember that when you get married do not invite people who have grudges against you to the wedding, and if you do, don’t drink bubbling champagne, you can never tell a dissolving pill from the regular bubbling. Well, not after your first couple of glasses and they’ve had a few.”
Carmen was impressed. “You’re diabolical you know that?”
“Yes, I am. So you’re in?”
“I guess. I mean, I might change my mind after.”
Edwina’s, Eddie to her friends, smile widened as she took her daughter’s drink and chugged it.
“Too late, I dropped it into their glasses when I was dancing with her lead-foot uncle. I just wanted to make sure you had my back.”
“Ma! I can’t believe you! Actually, I can. Oh, my God. We have to leave now. I will never be able to look either of them in the eye.”
“You know, if I was twenty one, single and without a kid I’d be living it up now. And why would you want to look in their eye. Spit in it, yes, but look in it? Pft. Don’t worry love, no one knows that I was there. ”
“Oh that’s reassuring, don’t you watch CSI woman? They don't need to see you to know you did it.” Carmen glanced over to where the newlyweds were happily dancing, unaware of their fate.
“How fast-acting is it?”
“They should feel it in about,” her mother paused dramatically and glanced at her watch, “two hours. Don’t worry, I timed it so it would hit after the reception was over. I’m not that cruel. Oh look, Addy’s heading over here.” Her mother waved as her aunt approached looking extremely smug about something and she wondered why she had brought them along. Bad enough they had talked her into going to the stupid wedding, she should’ve known they would take it upon themselves to get revenge on her behalf.
In a weird, twisted way it was actually sweet and she was grateful for them, but one of the problems she’d had with having a mother only sixteen years older than her and an aunt who was only three years older was that while growing up she’d always had a playmate, she was also the only one who had any sense. Or so she told herself as they waved away her worries and did whatever they wanted too, dragging her along for the inevitable car wreck.

Comments

  1. Aw it's so sad knowing that IWOAK will be ending soon :( I'm gonna miss this story and Judi and AJ so fingers crossed that you'll find yourself wanting to write some more stories in this world...maybe a series of one shots of different characters from IWOAK?? It'd be great! I for one would definitely read it! :D

    I love your idea of writing in third person for your other stories. Honestly, i much prefer third person stories to first person because you get a more diverse view of the story rather than just one person's and it's definitely a compliment/achievement to you that i love this story so much even though it's in first person and on FP, i usually avoid those type of stories :P
    That being said i wouldn't mind to have at least one chapter of AJ's POV, i think it'd be very interesting :P

    Hope you're working hard on the next chapter and am looking forward to it!

    2madaboutbooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. One shots are not my strong suit, lol, I'm toying with the idea of making a story for Missy but we shall see since I don't have a good record with sequels.

    Third person is super hard for me since I end up just 'telling' the story and it feels bland to me, no personality or anything which is what I want to be able to get across, regardless of whose POV I'm writing from.

    And I haven't written anything from AJ's POV because I really don't want him to come off as girly but I might attempt something from third person for him and post it as a one-shot or something when the story is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IWOAK. I don't have a fictionpress; I came across it and fall in LOVE <3; this story is totally worth reading. Keep doing your thing!! Your an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snippet was interesting, very much liking the mom's character. Though i personally prefer first person, the way you've written in third isn't all that bad. there's more description but not a lot of feeling that you manage to get in with Missy's extra.
    Stretch19

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice snippit and I like it so far. Can't wait for the next chapter of IWOAK and the possible sequal for missy would be a treat if you do it. Even the possible AJ POV would have me dying happy. knowing what is going on in his mind would really be great. especially knowing what he was thinking the night of Judith's birthday or the night when they played show and tell.

    Ladyluck

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LoveHimLikeIDo - thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the story :)

    @Stretch19 - that's my issue with third person, I don't know how to get the emotions across the way I can get it across in first, but practice makes perfect hopefully, lol. And I'll still be writing in first person so it should be fine.

    @Ladyluck - I'll definitely try and get out a one-shot for AJ's POV though I have no idea what scene I'm going to write about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here have some Judi

the plagiarist

Frustration and Musings