Status Update + Concerns

Hey all,

So chapter 34 is coming along. It's actually pretty much done but I did all the typing on my cellphone on the ride too and from work and now I'm trying to catch all the typos on a real computer when I have the time, but my spellcheck is being sometimesish about catching the mistakes, even stupid ones that are a result of my thumb hitting the wrong button so hopefully I can get it all cleaned up and finished for this weekend but if not, next week for sure.

Now, I don't know how many of you have heard, but there was an incident at a mall in Toronto that is basically the major mall for the city. Everyone goes there. It's a three minute walk from my work and when you're in highschool it's a 'destination' mall. You know when you want to hang out somewhere but the mall by your house isn't cool enough so you go to the bigger mall downtown and you're overly excited while trying to act like you shop there all the time?

That mall. There was a shooting in the food court, one dead, six casualties, one of which is a thirteen year old boy who is currently fighting for his life at a hospital. The people involved are known to be in gangs or at least, rep a specific area. The man was caught and it turns out that it wasn't gang-related but personal.

My problem, however, is that in chapter 34 there's a scene, or a moment that I think might be insensitive/inappropriate considering what happened this weekend. It's not as major/devastating as the shooting and I had plotted it out years ago, one of those scenes that occurred to me before the story was finished, but now I feel a bit uncomfortable posting it so soon after what happened.

My sister says I shouldn't change my story, especially since they're not that similar, and I should just do a disclaimer for people who are aware but I don't know.

I'm thinking by the end of this week I'll have a better idea on how things are going to go and how to change it, if there are any changes made, without having to replot the rest of the story.


Thanks for your patience everyone!

Comments

  1. I was not aware of what happened. It's such a sad and traggic thing and i hate that people are quick to pull a gun.

    i agree with your sister, don't change a thing. The disclaimer should be enough, but whatever choice you make would be fine.

    LadyLuckAJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about the shooting on the news over here in the uk and like LadyLuckAJ said people keep falling to it too quick when all they've got to do is think.

    I agree with them too, you don't need to change a thing. Sometimes there are really awful coincidences but it won't be the same. Again the disclaimer should be enough for most people to understand but only do what you are comfortable with.

    Stretch19

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was young there was a shooting at my school. It changes your life, regardless if you are the victim or know a victim.It is something you will never forget. In time I moved on, but then 9/11 happened. Ten years later people can make jokes about it, but it will NEVER BE FUNNY TO ME. My life changed because of that day and I will never get the innocence back that I fought so hard to repair after the shooting at my school.

    I am not saying to change your story, but proceed with caution. Some people are going to take it personal either way. Please just treat the situation with the sensitivity and respect it deserves

    I am sure you will do fine. You are a great writer with a strong sense respect

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will keep it because it has been a major part of the story since I thought of it. The more I think about it the less similarities I see now that there's some distance, it's just that a violent scene was supposed to happen in that mall but I think if I change locations I should be fine.

    Thanks for answering you guys! Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the plagiarist

Here have some Judi

Frustration and Musings